Log in

No account? Create an account
August 2010   01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Scarf OMG Nivella
Posted on 2005.02.08 at 11:50
Current Mood: pissed offpissed off
Now I'm getting P'd off. A site I visited on the weekend told me I did not need a Visa to go to the US cause we are under the waver scheme. My friend tells me this morning that you do. I check out the US Embassy site, and it says I don't http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/visaindex.htm. My mothers boyfriend says I do. Having serious problems this is not good for me I'm a libran I cannot make a decision. So if anyone could give me a vague idea, I'll shower you in porn.


yavannauk at 2005-02-08 12:02 (UTC) (Link)
It depends what kind of passport you have. If you have the new kind that can be read by computer you can still use the visa waiver scheme. If your passport is older, without the computer readable strip, you need to apply for a visa. Hope that helps!
aurora_bee at 2005-02-08 13:23 (UTC) (Link)
I've got the new one but my friend insisted you have to get a visa.
yavannauk at 2005-02-08 17:38 (UTC) (Link)
Nope, as things are now, your friend is wrong, provided you meet the requirements of the visa waiver scheme in every other way. The main thing to be sure of is that your passport is valid for at least six months at the time of your trip.
aurora_bee at 2005-02-08 17:59 (UTC) (Link)
Well I have a brand new passoport with another 9 1/2 odd years on it so I guess it's ok.
Sister Sword of Courteous Debate
pepperjackcandy at 2005-02-08 13:16 (UTC) (Link)
The fuck -- ?

You need a visa to get into the US?

Is this a new thing or has it always been this way?
aurora_bee at 2005-02-08 13:24 (UTC) (Link)
I'm not sure you do at the moments everything in the sites above lead me to believe that you don't need one. But my friends are telling me that you do.
Sister Sword of Courteous Debate
pepperjackcandy at 2005-02-08 13:51 (UTC) (Link)
I was speaking more that visas are needed in general. I remember my 4th? 5th? grade teacher (I was 9 or 10 at the time) telling us that "only countries like the USSR and China require people to have visas to get in."

Oh, and you're Welsh, right? Could you nudge me or something on the 28th or so so I don't miss St. David's Day? I have a shawl that I made from white sock yarn that's edged in red and green wool I bought in Caernarfon that I hardly ever wear.

Our local museums are free on Tuesdays, so I thought St. David's Day would be a good opportunity to wear it this year.
aurora_bee at 2005-02-08 14:00 (UTC) (Link)
I shall nudge you when the time comes. Believe me we all know when it's happening over here.
ishtar127a at 2005-02-08 15:13 (UTC) (Link)
Yes; you dangerous, subversive Brits, undermining our American way of life. :P We have to be extra cautious about you! Give you and foothold, and we'll be handing you back the colonies of a plate, decorated with Guy Fawkes crackers. (Couldn't say we wouldn't deserve it. ;) )

Seriously, it's probably some un-updated info, due to the terrorist problems. I'd just check with your goverenment and the American embassy in person, if you can. If you are still at all in doubt, and you can't tolerate a last minute delay at the airport (had a friend from South Africa miss her flight the hour off, as her papers were not in order) get it if you can. Just in case.

Does your Heathrow have an information booth to tell you these things? No matter what the real regs, it's the people who chcek you through the gate that you have to pacify.
aurora_bee at 2005-02-08 16:38 (UTC) (Link)
Heathrow? Dude that's in another country. I think I might check with a travel agent might help.
crossbow1 at 2005-02-08 15:25 (UTC) (Link)
Why don't you just get a visa anyway? Are they expensive?
aurora_bee at 2005-02-08 16:40 (UTC) (Link)
Visa's take over 6 weeks and a trip to London from what I've read and yes they are expensive.
sammijmb at 2005-02-09 20:24 (UTC) (Link)
No, honey. You definitely don't need a visa.

You have to fill in a green form on the plane, which they stamp to your passport at the immigration desk, that's all.
aurora_bee at 2005-02-09 20:31 (UTC) (Link)
She says it's a new thing but if that's true why can't I find any info on it grrr.. Gonna go visit my buddy in Louisville. Of course Gimli doesn't want me to go. Oh well she'll have to live with it!
sammijmb at 2005-02-09 20:37 (UTC) (Link)
I had the same questions when I went to Ohio in november. It's seriously not an issue.

And go. Sod what Gimli says - trips to the US are a rare experience no-one should pass up.
aurora_bee at 2005-02-09 21:01 (UTC) (Link)
It says I need this

A completed and signed Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94W, on which you have waived the right of review or appeal of an immigration officer’s determination about admissibility, or deportation. These forms are available from participating carriers, from travel agents, and at land-border ports-of-entry.

Is that what you had?
sammijmb at 2005-02-09 21:08 (UTC) (Link)
I think so, yes. You get handed them by the plane staff, and fill them in while you're preparing to land.

If you're buying your tickets at the travel agency and you're still worried, hon, ask them.
aurora_bee at 2005-02-09 21:10 (UTC) (Link)
Was gonna book via internet some really good deals ;O) Long though, I think I can see what a travel agency has to say though. Thanks sweetie you've been a big help.
Previous Entry  Next Entry